Monday, December 19, 2011

Taking It All In

Almost every night the same thought runs through my mind...I accomplished absolutely nothing today.

Laundry, organizing, cleaning, cooking.  I am never without something on my To Do list.

However, tonight as I was replaying what I actually did do today I realized that even though I didn't get to most of the things that I would have liked, I did get to spend time with my kids.  Elijah and I sat on the couch to do his reading lesson.  I answered Connor's question about multiplication.  I watched as the older ones played with the younger ones. I watched as Luke rough housed with his little brothers.  As Caleb sat with Samuel and read to him.  I watched as Alyssa came out of her room this morning looking for "her Silas".   I watched as Micah helped Samuel play a computer game.

 I find myself resisting the urge to pull them from enjoying each other more and more over time.  These times are important for them just as they are to me.  Chores can wait just a little longer.

Time goes by so quickly.  It doesn't stand still for anyone.  If I don't just let life be then I will miss it all.

I have a friend that says that she doesn't like to clean the fingerprints off of her sliding door.  As her children grow the prints get higher and higher.  One day there will be no more smudges to remind her that she has little ones running around.

My sliding door has fingerprints on it.  My fridge has dirty handles left by the little hands that grasp them.  I have socks, toys, sippy cups, pillows, blankies, stuffed animals, Legos and more strewn throughout my house.  And one day they will all be gone.

I will finally have the organized, clean house I've always wanted.

And then I will be sad.

Maybe I should rethink this...

2 comments: