Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Blessings

Children.  They are blessings.  They are gifts.

 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
    the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
   are the children of one’s youth.
Blessed is the man
   who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
   when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.

              Psalm 127:3-5 ESV

Larry and I have been entrusted with fifteen children.  Yes, fifteen!  

Some only stayed with us for a short time but they touched our lives in a way that has made our walk with the Lord stronger.  Their short lives still have purpose and I see it when I get to minister to other women that have experienced the death of a child.  

The nine that we have been allowed to keep here with us are awesome!  Each has a personality all their own.  Daily they teach me about mercy, grace, patience, love.  I fail daily in at least one of these but my children are forgiving and continue to love me despite my shortcomings.  

And then there are the children that are given away or taken away because they have no value, will only be a burden on society...or so "they" say.  Sweet little children without a mommy or daddy to hold them, feed them, teach them, LOVE them.  I shake my head in disbelief.  It makes me sad, angry, discouraged all at the same time.  I want to help them all.  Take their pain and loneliness away.  And not later but now.  

We have talked about adopting "some day".  "Maybe we'll adopt when we can't have anymore biological children."  Years ago we turned our family size over to God just like we had every other area of our lives.  If He was trustworthy to take care of the other aspects of our lives then surely He could be trusted with this, too.  I mean, after all, He was the One that gave us children that the doctors said we'd never have.  (Yes, you read that right.  I was not supposed to be able to have children.  Ha!)

We don't believe God is done blessing us with children.  Hoping and praying for at least one more biological child but also wanting to bring home a sweet one that has never known the love of a family.  I am excited about what is in store for our family!

Adoption is an expensive and time-intensive thing especially if adopting from overseas.  Waiting to see how God will provide the finances that are needed.  Waiting to see who He is going to give us.  It is difficult to not be able to move on this now - looking at all the sad little faces and wanting to give them what they deserve.
Patience and trust.  In His timing.

~Maria~

No comments:

Post a Comment